b-hebrew - Re: Re[2]: WP

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Re[2]: WP
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 15:17:36 -0700

Rolf wrote:
> >If we look at the clause level, I am not sure how to account for this
> >data apart from a "traditional" four component model with something
> >like a "waw conversive". Then there is a separate issue of deciding
> >how this strange system arose (but there are many very strange things
> >in real human languages!)
> >
> >If we are to move anywhere beyond such a traditional view, I am sure
> >we need to look above the clause level. So my advice to Dave would be
> >to brush up his discourse studies before taking his studies further.
>
> Is it true that to study the text above the clause level demands several
> more assumptions than a study of small/the smallest linguistic units? Is it
> true that it is much more difficult to test conclusions based upon the
> study of big chunks of text than those reached on the basis of smaller
> units? If not, please tell me how we can test conclusions drawn about the
> meaning of the Hebrew conjugations on the basis of discourse analysis
> alone. For instance, is the view that weqatal has the same meaning as
> yiqtol falsifyable?

At this point I'm not going to try and address the last question, but
I would like to make this comment about discourse level as over
against clause level: it seems to me that discourse level study
must have as its basis a sound view of the clause level. Truthfully,
in the discourse studies that I have read (admittedly few) I have not
seen this; rather, they seem to try and construct a clause-level
system as they go through discourse. This strikes me as a "cart-
before-the-horse" approach, though certainly well-intentioned.
Again let me emphasize that this is simply how it looks to me at
this point in my understanding of discourse analysis.
Comments/corrections? I know I'm sticking my neck out here, and
would like to emphasize that I'm here to learn, not offend or attack...
[helmet on again]

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur