b-hebrew - Re: Gen 1:1-2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • To: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gen 1:1-2
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 10:06:32 -0500

Dear Ken,
Another reason why I do not like "chaos" in Gen. 1, is the connection to
Greek mythology. Chaos was the name of one of the first Greek Gods and came
to mean the state of the universe at the beginning of creation (in Greek
thought, not Hebrew thought). I looked in the dictionary, and one meaning
of "chaos" is: "a state of things in which chance is supreme," another
meaning is: "the inherent unpredictability in the behavior of a natural
system," another is: "a state of utter confusion." The thesaurus lists
"anarchy" as a synonym. So, you see, "chaos" is too loaded for the Genesis
context. Gen.1:1-2 does not involve "chance," "unpredictability," "utter
confusion," or "anarchy."
Lee R. Martin

>>Dear Lee,
>>Considering that God's first actions, after "turning on the light", are to
>separate
>>day from night, water from land, upper waters from lower waters, I would
>opt for
>>"chaos" as the meaning of "tohu wavohu"; i.e., everything was chaotic and
>confused,
>>and God put "alles in Ordnung".
>
>Dear Jonathan,
>Your point is well-taken, but I do not like the word "chaos" here because
in
>current English usage it implies activity. Yes, the created earth was
>"non-ordered". I get the picture of a big dark rock, covered with water.
>That doesn't comply with my understanding of the English word "chaos."
>"Chaos" is what happens in a riot. Searching for translation equivalents
>never satisfies everyone, does it?
>
>Lee R. Martin
>

>---
>You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: lmartin AT vol.com
>To unsubscribe, forward this message to
$subst('Email.Unsub')