acawiki-general - [acawiki-general] refs in literature reviews

acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: pitman AT stat.Berkeley.EDU (Jim Pitman)
  • To: acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [acawiki-general] refs in literature reviews
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 09:45:25 -0700

Taking a look at http://acawiki.org/Literature_Review:Identity
I was surprised to find references like "Nisbett and Wilson (1977)"
without a full citation provided. I would expect at the least a full
citation, and better still a hyperlink
to a DOI.
If not, this creates an unscholarly impression, which lowers the quality and
value
of the review. I think acawiki would do well to enforce some citation
standards,
or at the very least provide best practices that authors could aspire to. It
may be that
one author provides the text, and others chase the full citations and links.
But
the provision of adequate references needs to be strongly reinforced by the
system/culture.

How to adequately manage references well in a wiki environment is a
challenging problem which I'd be glad to
correspond further about.
But not managing them at all seems like an unacceptable solution.

--Jim

Jim Pitman
Director, Bibliographic Knowledge Network Project
http://www.bibkn.org/

Professor of Statistics and Mathematics
University of California
367 Evans Hall # 3860