xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Exposing XMLHandler

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Alan Gutierrez <alan AT blogometer.com>
  • To: elharo AT metalab.unc.edu
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Exposing XMLHandler
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 08:21:59 -0500

On Sep 28, 2007, at 3:20 AM, Elliotte Harold wrote:

Thomas Hicks wrote:

I understand your motives but sometimes you have to bend your
noble principles for pragmatism. I'm stuck, for example, trying
to integrate XOM (which I really like) into this 3rd party application.

And yet I still don't have details of what that application is or why
anyone needs to do this. I try to keep the public API footprint minimal.
No API is added without clear and compelling use cases. So far I
haven't seen such a use case.

Two people have said they want this. Fine, but does anyone actually need
it? That point has not been proven or quantified. More often than not
when someone says they need a particular feature, there's already
another way to do what they're trying to do.

And note that Mr. Guttierez resorted to some clever (and possibly
dangerous?) workaround. How many other programmers will
just do that, with possibly bad results? Perhaps you could take
another look at the problem and come up with a "safe",
XOM-oriented solution for us all.

Right now I'm leaning toward figuring out a way to prevent exposing the
XOMHandler class from the user-supplied XMLReader. Barring that I may
have to take another look at XMLHandler and make sure it's safe for this
sort of use.

Please reread the message that I sent yesterday. I put a good deal of time into it. In it you will find the use case, a very common use case, that calls for an independent and public ContentHandler and LexicalHandler implementation that builds an XOM document. You will find a link to examples of the independent and public ContentHandler and LexicalHandler implementations that generate W3C DOM, Saxon TinyTree, and DOM4J.

--
Alan Gutierrez | alan AT blogometer.com | http://blogometer.com/ | 504 717 1428
Think New Orleans | http://thinknola.com/