xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Exposing XMLHandler

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Alan Gutierrez <alan AT blogometer.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org, Elliotte Harold <erharold AT gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Exposing XMLHandler
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 04:25:40 -0400

Alan Gutierrez wrote:

This is the best description I've heard yet of why you want to do this. Thanks. I'll think abut it.

Taking a step back.

XOM provides a means to create an XOM document by sending events to a ContentHandler and LexicalHadnler. The XOM implementations of ContentHandler and LexicalHandler are exposed. They are made available to client programs through an implementation of XMLReader. This is something that I've described.

This is an accident, not a deliberate decision, and arguably it's a bug. I think I agree with you that XOMHandler is pretty well exposed now. However rather than expose it completely, I may close the hole that exposed this in the first place. If you do convince me there's a significant use case here, my suspicion is there should be a separate handler class in the nu.xom.converters package rather than exposing the one in the core.

Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!