xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Exposing XMLHandler

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Tatu Saloranta <cowtowncoder AT yahoo.com>
  • To: xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Exposing XMLHandler
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 22:40:50 -0700 (PDT)

> Being curious... Why do you want to use XOM? I don't use it, but I like
> to look at it. If it doesn't meet your needs, what makes it so
> compelling to push for changes to an obvious <don't-know-what-to-say
> perhaps="fascist | dictator"/>? Why not just dismiss it and use one or
> more of the many other alternatives?

Although I'm not the one asking for support, I think that the reason may be
that beyond specific challenges, XOM is a well-designed xml tree model that
does many things better than the alternatives. At least that is my opinion,
based on observations of 2 out of 3 commonly encountered alternatives.

XOM design has paid careful attention to consistency of the API, which in the
end does make things intuitive (via consistency), and specifically does not
lead developers to do things they should not.
Some other tree APIs add convenience features that lead users (especially
novice ones) into usage patterns that are inappropriate for xml processing
(in areas of namespace or white space handling). It's not particularly easy
to create a correct and intuitive interface to xml processing, given
impedance between logical and common xml and java processing models.

So I think it is probably an indirect compliment that developers try very
hard to work around limitations they find, instead of "cutting their losses"
so to speak.

Of course individual reasons may be different, this is just my take,

-+ Tatu +-