xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Exposing XMLHandler

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Thomas Hicks <hickst AT theriver.com>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Exposing XMLHandler
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 09:30:02 -0700

I used to work for Ralph Griswold, the creator of the SNOBOL
and Icon programming languages. Whenever someone would
program something particularly unusual or suspect Ralph would
remark "Well, we're just in the business of selling rope. If they
want to hang themselves, that's their business."
cheers,
-tom

At 02:32 AM 9/27/2007, you wrote:
> That's fairly inspired or evil or both. I'll need to think about that.

Elliotte tries very hard to stop people hanging themselves, and gets quite
upset when they succeed despite his efforts.

I'm afraid I take a different approach: don't go out of your way to prevent
it, and don't let it upset you when it happens.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/