xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Exposing XMLHandler

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Thomas Hicks <hickst AT theriver.com>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Exposing XMLHandler
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 15:11:03 -0700

At 02:52 PM 9/27/2007, you wrote:
Thomas Hicks wrote:
I used to work for Ralph Griswold, the creator of the SNOBOL
and Icon programming languages. Whenever someone would
program something particularly unusual or suspect Ralph would
remark "Well, we're just in the business of selling rope. If they
want to hang themselves, that's their business."
cheers,
-tom

All I can say is, XOM's philosophy is very different. Not that you can't hang yourself with it, but I want to make it very, very hard to do so.

I understand your motives but sometimes you have to bend your
noble principles for pragmatism. I'm stuck, for example, trying
to integrate XOM (which I really like) into this 3rd party application.
And note that Mr. Guttierez resorted to some clever (and possibly
dangerous?) workaround. How many other programmers will
just do that, with possibly bad results? Perhaps you could take
another look at the problem and come up with a "safe",
XOM-oriented solution for us all.
regards,
-tom