xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Serializer performance patches

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Robert Koberg <rob AT koberg.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Serializer performance patches
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 20:11:19 -0400

Robert Koberg wrote:
Is Wolfgang a committer for XOM?

No. I'm the only committer at the current time.

If not, shouldn't he be?

I'm not sure Wolfgang and I are in close enough agreement to make that feasible. We do not always share the same goals.

Are there other commiters to XOM than ERH? (especially after the latest saxon post to his blog (which I agree with!))

The difference between XOM and Saxon is that XOM provides enough supporting materials, especially test cases, to make a fork feasible. If Wolfgang gets annoyed at the direction I'm taking XOM, he's free to publish his own fork that goes in a different direction.

While it's legally possible to do that with Saxon 6, the practical problem is that Dr. Kay has never published his test suite. That makes it extremely difficult for anybody except him to move the product forward or even fix bugs when he moves on to other things. At one point I seriously considered continuing development on Saxon 6 myself. However, sans test suite it just seemed like too much work. It was easier to fix the bugs in Jaxen (and let the Apache Project fix the bugs in Xalan) than it was to work on Saxon.

There are reasons Dr. Kay has chosen not to publish his test suite. See http://www.stylusstudio.com/xsllist/200405/post30430.html
I'll be addressing some of those in my paper at Extreme Markup Languages in August.