xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Serializer performance patches

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Steve Loughran <steve.loughran AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Serializer performance patches
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:27:47 +0100

On 6/30/05, Andrew Stewart <andrew.stewart AT aspectcapital.com> wrote:

> > > http://www.clarkware.com/software/JUnitPerf.html
> >
> > How does this handle varying system speeds? i.e. if the tests
> > were run on two machines, one twice as fast as the other,
> > could they pass on the faster system and fail on the slower?
> > Ideally I'd like the tests to be relative to some underlying
> > measure of speed rather than absolute numbers.
>

> As far as I know, it does not take system speed into consideration. So
> tests could pass on a fast machine and fail on a slow machine.

yeah, its very, very brittle.

I don't personally think you can/should encode response times in the
test suite itself. really that should be data calibrated on a single
box and saved, then future runs compared to detect significant
deviations from the existing stuff.

I am not aware of a junit extension that does that.

-steve