xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Serializer performance patches

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Wolfgang Hoschek <whoschek AT lbl.gov>
  • To: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Serializer performance patches
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 13:47:30 -0700

On Jun 29, 2005, at 1:30 PM, Elliotte Harold wrote:

After investigating this further, I'm fairly convinced that the performance gain Wolfgang found is real, but I don't think my initial hypothesis as to where that came from is correct. The "slow path" is doing more than simply looking for characters that need to be escaped. It's also counting characters for purposes of line breaks and indents and so forth;

I'm not sure I can follow. As far as I can see, the patch is only taking the fast path when no chars need to be counted for line breaks and indents and so forth. When there's something to count it takes the slow path. But that is a very uncommon case. Can you please clarify?

Wolfgang.