xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Put methods

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: jcowan AT reutershealth.com
  • To: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Put methods
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 12:19:06 -0500

Elliotte Rusty Harold scripsit:

> I don't see an obvious use case for this right now.Since adding it in
> the future would not be backwards incompatible with existing code,
> I'm going to hold off on this until it becomes obvious that it's
> necessary.

I accept this. The use case is similar to that of DocFragment in DOM;
it allows you to keep a sequence of Nodes without the implementation
or conceptual baggage of either Document or Element. Currently, Nodes
shows its read-only ancestry, but exposes mutator methods insert, append,
and remove without the most basic mutator. I proposed put for symmetry
with get, but I agree that replace is less confusing.

--
One Word to write them all, John Cowan <jcowan AT reutershealth.com>
One Access to find them, http://www.reutershealth.com