xom-interest - [XOM-interest] hasChildren vs. getChildCount == 0

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: jcowan AT reutershealth.com
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [XOM-interest] hasChildren vs. getChildCount == 0
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 07:18:46 -0500

At 2:14 PM -0500 2/2/04, jcowan AT reutershealth.com wrote:

1) I'm now going to argue that hasChildren should be removed in favor of
using getChildCount() == 0. In a proper JIT they should be exactly
the same at run time, and it's really trivial to write one's own
method hasChildren(Node n) if you must have it.

I sort of like hasChildren(), but when I marked it package protected in the code, hardly anything broke except a few unit tests that were testing hasChildren(). None of the samples broke, which is telling. Therefore I'm leaning toward removing it. If anyone wants to argue in favor of keeping hasChildren(), speak up now. In fact, if you have an opinion either way, let me know. Whose in favor of hasChildren, and who thinks it should go? The question on the table is whether we should delete hasChildren. Vote now.

Effective XML (Addison-Wesley, 2003)