xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] XOM 1.0d23 Last Call

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: dirk bergstrom <dirk AT juniper.net>
  • To: jcowan AT reutershealth.com
  • Cc: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>, xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] XOM 1.0d23 Last Call
  • Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 11:43:26 -0800

On 02/02/2004 11:14 AM, jcowan AT reutershealth.com was heard to exclaim:
> 2) Consider flushing the no-namespace constructors: they save only 3
> characters
> (plus optional whitespace) over the corresponding namespace constructors.
> Trying to let people use a namespaceless subset of XOM really doesn't
> save
> much mental space, I don't think; DOM has these things because Level 1
> predates namespaces.
> 1) Remove no-namespace constructor: see Attribute for rationale.
> 3) Remove no-namespace versions of getAttribute, getAttributeValue,
> getChildElements, getFirstChildElement; see Attribute for rationale.

Perhaps I'm exposing some gross and defiguring ignorance here, but I think
this is a bad idea.

I don't use namespaces in my work, and I would deeply resent having to go
through all of my xml code and add what amounts to a null parameter to each
XOM call. Forcing people to add a namespace *requires* a lot of mental space.

If you can convince me that I *need* namespaces (in code that's worked for a
year without them), then I'd be willing to consider this proposal.
Otherwise, I think it would make XOM less usable, and harder to learn.

--
Dirk Bergstrom dirk AT juniper.net
Juniper Networks Inc., Computer Geek