sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] RFC: combining all gcc frontends into a single spell

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Peng Chang (Charles)" <chp516 AT gmail.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] RFC: combining all gcc frontends into a single spell
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 15:19:11 +0800

Here is my test result of the circular dependency:

Upgrading from the seperate fashion of installaion to the combined one,
the circular dependency causes failure anyway. The failure is caused
like this: the seperate g++ get dispelled when the combined dummy g++
got installed; then gmp which expects g++ get a configure error; then
gcc wouldn't cast without gmp updated first.

However, if we are already using the combined spell. Then upgrading gcc
and gmp won't cause any problem.

I had gcc 4.3.1 installed with g++ enabled. Then I dispelled gmp and
remove the cache. Then I replaced VERSION of gcc and g++ to 4.4.1, and
then cast gcc.
First the dummy g++ got installed.
Then gmp cast OK.
Then gcc started to compile.

Though I canceled casting gcc because I'm not testing gcc but the
circular dependency, I'm quite sure that this circular dependency issue
is resolved after all.

Please point out any thing I did wrong in the test :)

Cheers!
Charles