sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] RFC: combining all gcc frontends into a single spell

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Peng Chang (Charles)" <chp516 AT gmail.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] RFC: combining all gcc frontends into a single spell
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 15:45:27 +0800

Some points to add:
1. In this approach, the gcc gmp circular dependency may be resolved. If
as ruskie mentioned, build gcc with embedded gmp and mpfr, this
circular dependency is sure to be resolved.
2. Upstream described installing gcc only in this fashion, not the
seperate fashion.
3. Users are still allowed to choose the compilers they want, and
rebuild only what they want. In most cases, this approach only saves
time.

One drawback I remember what sandalle told me:
make profiledbootstrap* with ada enabled will fail for unknown reason.
We probably should report to gcc.

Cheers,
Charles