sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] RFC: combining all gcc frontends into a single spell

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57 AT fastmail.fm>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] RFC: combining all gcc frontends into a single spell
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 23:25:27 +0100

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 18:30:19 +0200 (CEST)
Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik <ruskie AT codemages.net> wrote:

> > Sounds good for future updates. This means we have an upgrade issue
> > though, as going from split spells to combined spell broke due to this
> > dependency cycle. This needs to be resolved before it can go to test
> > grimoire.
>
> Another issue I would like to stuff someplace is /lib64
>
> Do we really need to bother with supporting both instead of just putting
> things into /lib and be done with.
>
> This would reduce the need to handle specs files in the gcc spell.
> Considering we overwrite this everywhere else we should do it for the
> loader as well:
>
> /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 to /lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
>
> And be done with it.

I don't know if this comment is worth anything, but on my purely 64-bit
system I've only ever needed /lib64 for a single binary application, and then
only as a symlink.

--
Ethan Grammatikidis

Those who are slower at parsing information must
necessarily be faster at problem-solving.