sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] RFC: combining all gcc frontends into a single spell

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] RFC: combining all gcc frontends into a single spell
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 18:41:57 -0700

flux wrote:
Peng Chang (Charles) (chp516 AT gmail.com) wrote [09.07.23 21:16]:
On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 06:25:19PM +0200, Arwed von Merkatz wrote:
Sounds good for future updates. This means we have an upgrade issue
though, as going from split spells to combined spell broke due to this
dependency cycle. This needs to be resolved before it can go to test
grimoire.
The upgrade from split spells to combined spell is no more difficult to
deal with than upgrading gcc from split to split.
cast -r gmp and disable c++
cast gcc with g++
cast -r gmp and enable c++
Then we'll have the combined gcc.

Charles

I believe what Arwed was getting at was that this should be an automated
process. Users should not be required to cast -r for a pure upgrade (in
an ideal world).

Correct, users shouldn't even notice that gcc has gone from single to split, or then split back to single. However, the steps Peng points out will help in automating the process. :)

-sandalle