sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] smgl-gl_select

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] smgl-gl_select
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 12:23:01 -0600

On Feb 09, Andra?? 'ruskie' Levstik [ruskie AT codemages.net] wrote:
> :2009-02-08T13:30:Jeremy Blosser:
>
> > On Feb 08, Andra?? 'ruskie' Levstik [ruskie AT codemages.net] wrote:
> > > They all depend on smgl-gl_select now so give it a run.
> >
> > I'm sure this tool is great for those that need such a thing but unless
> > there's a convincing case that this is needed for the individual packages
> > to function, this should be optional.
> >
> > We don't patch without asking unless it's needed to function (or security
> > updates), we don't make dependencies non-optional unless they are needed
> > function; distro-provided glue should not be any different.
> >

> I've modified this as per Jaka' suggestion to make it a grimoire
> FUNCTION so now that's how it's handled. The separate tool still exists
> and will always be updated.
>
> It now does nearly the exact same thing it did before with modifications:
>
> install any conflicting files into a $provider subdir(patches in spells
> or modification of installation).

So it's still changing how things are installed from the default? People
who want to do their own tweaks to how their system works are still going
to have to parse what we have changed?

I don't really care where it happens--we should not be non-optionally
changing the upstream defaults unless it's required for the thing to work
at all or is part of some broader standard we're agreed we're trying to
follow.

As a sysadmin I am way tired of having to parse through distro-specific
stuff on a way to tracking down a problem with some package's operation.
This is a primary reason I started using sourcemage.