sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] smgl-gl_select

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik <ruskie AT codemages.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] smgl-gl_select
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 20:06:26 +0100 (CET)

:2009-02-09T12:23:Jeremy Blosser:

> So it's still changing how things are installed from the default? People
> who want to do their own tweaks to how their system works are still going
> to have to parse what we have changed?

Default way conflicts with all 3 spells. And all they need to do is read
the notice that the tool prints each and every time it get' executed
detailing exactly the changes made and how to manage it manually.

> I don't really care where it happens--we should not be non-optionally
> changing the upstream defaults unless it's required for the thing to work
> at all or is part of some broader standard we're agreed we're trying to
> follow.

Upstream default conflicts with both mesalib and xorg-server this solves
that problem.

> As a sysadmin I am way tired of having to parse through distro-specific
> stuff on a way to tracking down a problem with some package's operation.
> This is a primary reason I started using sourcemage.

It's well documented on each run of the tool:

You can manage the libGL providers at runtime by using
either smgl-gl_select or manually by symlinking the files
from their respective directories i.e.:
/usr/lib/[nvidia|ati|mesa]/libGL.so
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/[nvidia,ati,mesa]/lib{glx,dri}.so
/usr/include/GL/[nvidia|ati|mesa]/gl{x,xext,ext}.h

To:
/usr/lib/libGL.so
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/lib{glx,dri}.so
/usr/include/GL/gl{x,xext,ext}.h
"

--
Andraž "ruskie" Levstik
Geek/Hacker/Tinker

Be sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodies.
Ryle hira.