sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] smgl-gl_select

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik <ruskie AT codemages.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] smgl-gl_select
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 10:02:56 +0100 (CET)

:2009-02-08T13:30:Jeremy Blosser:

> On Feb 08, Andra?? 'ruskie' Levstik [ruskie AT codemages.net] wrote:
> > They all depend on smgl-gl_select now so give it a run.
>
> I'm sure this tool is great for those that need such a thing but unless
> there's a convincing case that this is needed for the individual packages
> to function, this should be optional.
>
> We don't patch without asking unless it's needed to function (or security
> updates), we don't make dependencies non-optional unless they are needed to
> function; distro-provided glue should not be any different.

I've modified this as per Jaka' suggestion to make it a grimoire
FUNCTION so now that's how it's handled. The separate tool still exists
and will always be updated.

It now does nearly the exact same thing it did before with modifications:

install any conflicting files into a $provider subdir(patches in spells
or modification of installation).

symlinks the curenntely cast $provider to the defaults...

So if you've cast mesalib or xorg-server it will pick mesa.
If you cast ati-fglrx it will pick ati and if you cast any of the nvidia
spells it will pick nvidia.

The files that need to be kept in sync for this to function are:
$GRIMOIRE/glselect.function
$GRIMOIRE/.glselect dir
$GRIMOIRE/FUNCTIONS with sourcing of glselect.function

I also ask anyone modifying $GRIMOIRE/.glselect/*-filelist files to also
sync them up with the ones in the smgl-gl_select spell so that the tool
works.

--
Andraž "ruskie" Levstik
Geek/Hacker/Tinker

Be sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodies.
Ryle hira.