sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Let's make Source Mage not suck!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: seth AT swoolley.homeip.net
  • To: Pol Vinogradov <vin.public AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Let's make Source Mage not suck!
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 15:59:30 -0800

On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 03:14:55AM +0500, Pol Vinogradov wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 13:36:07 -0800
> seth AT swoolley.homeip.net wrote:
>
> > ISOs used to work this way. It was a problem. The pro was that
> > integration was not needed. The negative was that integration was not
> > done.
> >
> > I imagine developers will be using custom grimoires for their own
> > development but they will be immediately integrating their work when
> > done.
> >
> > Asking for an official policy of custom grimoire for the iso all the way
> > to production is not necessary and would be counter-productive.

> i like the idea about not to integrate. it'll be good to have "really"
> stable grimoire which is a limited set of spells and other grimoires
> for specific needs (like now test, xorg-modular, etc...) no
> integration is needed. user can build up his system based on his needs
> w/o having >= 5500 spells and a pain related to maintain these spells
> if he'd be a dev. and of course all should be documented ;)

I'm sorry, but I don't see why we just can't integrate request what you
have in your custom grimoire that's really stable for you. Custom
grimoires are ok for testing development, but not for our stable
grimoire. If you're dong systematic development that requires the whole
system be modified (like iso work), custom grimoires are expected. But
we should have one exposed grimoire that everything works on. Not a
smaller grimoire, just a stable one. C.F. my bugzilla improvement and
gaze integration idea for how to make it more open to bug fixing.

Seth