sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Let's make Source Mage not suck!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Let's make Source Mage not suck!
  • Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 12:46:50 -0800

Quoting Andrew Stitt <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>:
On Mon, Jan 01, 2007 at 05:52:06PM +0500, Alexander Tsamutali wrote:
Our main problems, IMHO:
<snip>
<snip>
I've made my opinion on this known many times:
ISOs, we need more attention paid to ISO development and a more frequent
iso development schedule. ISO's are the only thing we produce that
distrowatch and other main linux distro websites will mention.
More news on other sites means more traffic to our site. More
traffic -> more installs -> more users -> more developers.

I agree here, and in that vein I have been helping out with the stable/stable-rc integration work. Currently there are no bugs against stable-rc (though that's mainly because I haven't moved the bugs filed against test when it was snapshotted into stable-rc into stable-rc) and there are no requests to integrate fixes into stable-rc left. Once stable-rc is deemed "good enough" (with a Prometheus run against it, at least on x86 architecture and the bugs fixed that we find) then we can probably release a new stable, which is the main holdup of a new ISO.

The main issues with stable releases are, IMO:
* Not enough people helping to triage bugs
* Not enough people fixing stable-rc/stable bugs
* Too much attention is spent on test grimoire

If we can get more help targetted at making sure bugs are filed against the proper grimoire(s) and fixing the bugs that affect stable-rc/stable before bugs that fix test, this would help.

-sandalle

eric at sandall.us PGP: 0xA8EFDD61 | http://www.sourcemage.org/