sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Let's make Source Mage not suck!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jaka Kranjc <lynx AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Let's make Source Mage not suck!
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 15:27:13 +0100

On Monday 01 January 2007 13:52, Alexander Tsamutali wrote:
> Our main problems, IMHO:
>
> * Pale web presence
Agreed, our tome team is nonexsistant, even the temporary docs part of it
(rdp) ground to a halt (but they did produce some results). The "this week in
smgl" articles were really nice - we should pick that thing up again. Surely
more than the previous three people can write summaries?

> * Buggy grimoire
This is always an issue and no matter how many prometheus run we do, it won't
improve unless we actually fix the found bugs. Now many just get obsoleted by
new releases (after too long a while). Faster release cycles would help, but
the whole bug fixing thing should somehow be made (to appear) more sexy (who
cares about importance?). I tried generating weekly stats, but I'm hindered
by the lack of web wizards.

There is also the fact that bugzilla is not really helpful with the flag
filtering mess (see "bugzilla woes").

afrayedknot's bug contest idea was nice, I wonder if it will be realized.

> * Inconsistency, sometimes unneeded complexity in development
What specifically do you mean by this (I can't think of anything)?

> Currently we have ~1000 open grimoire bugs in bugzilla which is tooo
> big for ~5500 spells. Almost every new user has some problems,
> sometimes very serious problems. We need to release and maintain
> really _stable_ grimoire, to improve user experience.
We suck on the "release early and release often" paradigm and this is imho
our
biggest problem. More releases = more publicity = more users = more
developers = more work being done. And repeat. If we have the focus to
improve stability on the way then great.

I agree with what was said on irc - we should downscale our goals, maybe
remove stable-rc, focus on important things harder and not try to please
everyone (the LVM stable-rc holdup comes to mind).

> So what do you think about? How to improve our distro? I have some
> proposals which i'll post later.
I think (seriously):
A little less conversation, a little more action please
All this aggravation ain't satisfactioning me
A little more bite and a little less bark
A little less fight and a little more spark ...

--
We cannot command nature except by obeying her. --Sir Francis Bacon
Have a sourcerous day! www.sourcemage.org