sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] P4 down again

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: SM-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] P4 down again
  • Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 16:31:21 -0500

Andrew Stitt wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 01, 2006 at 12:56:42PM -0600, Jeremy Blosser (emrys) wrote:
>> On Apr 01, George Sherwood [pilot AT beernabeer.com] wrote:
>>> <rant> I certainly am not smart enough to know what scm should
>>> replace p4, but it is unacceptable that every other weekend p4 seems to
>>> go down until Monday.
>>> Weekends should be a time for our volunteers to work on SMGL and
>>> now we can't do so.
>>> We often talk and talk about something and never implement. But this
>>> is something we need to make the "best" choice and then implement.
>>> </rant>
>> As of last night there is a bzr install on fawkes, and I'm working with the
>> sorcery and cauldron teams so far to get their stuff set up in it. This
>> isn't necessarily a real switch yet but it will hopefully get to real work
>> being done in it and we'll see how it goes.
>>

> The sorcery team is now using bzr as their primary scm. We'll try it
> for a month and decide if we should keep it. I've actually committed
> a bugfix to it. I hear the cauldron team has been committing fixes to
> their bzr repo too.

That rumor is true :) The new LVM stuff for the installer is in the bzr
repo. I'm going to set up the devel isofactory to pull from bzr and get
us a nightly devel iso/xdelta thing going.

> For those of you using sorcery directly out of p4, stop, we wont be
> pushing changes back to p4 on a regular basis. Anyone can check out
> sorcery from bzr:
> bzr branch http://scm.sourcemage.org/smgl/sorcery/devel sorcery-devel
> update with bzr pull

Same applies to people hacking on the cauldron code, although the
command is:
bzr branch http://scm.sourcemage.org/smgl/cauldron/devel cauldron-devel
Still update with bzr pull

> You can also commit changes if you want, and then publish them over
> http. If I like them I can pull them into the main repository.

Same type of deal for cauldron :)

> I'll probably be setting up a daemon script for sending change-reviews
> to sm-commits ML. Unless someone beats me to it.

I'm too lazy to do this, so I'll just steal Andrew's when/if it's done :)

--
David Kowis

ISO Team Lead - www.sourcemage.org
Source Mage GNU/Linux

Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to
find easier ways to do something.
- Robert Heinlein

- Arthur C. Clarke