sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] P4 down again

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] P4 down again
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 13:15:48 -0500

On Apr 06, Tony Smith [tony AT smee.org] wrote:
> In my experience, it's unwise to rant when you don't know the facts. The
> unreliability you attribute to Perforce is actually unreliability of our
> ADSL
> connection.

I think it's safe to say that in context for our developers 'p4' generally
means 'the p4 service our developers use'. If it's down and they can't
work it doesn't much matter why it's down, it's down.

> The machine and the Perforce Server haven't been down for a long time;
> unfortunately our network connection is a good deal less reliable and when
> it
> fails I have to drive to the office to physically reset it.
>
> Some weekends I'm able to do that, and some weekends I'm not.
>
> I'd love to be in a position to offer you better hosting, but I don't have
> it
> to offer.

We definitely appreciate the work you do and that you do the best with what
you have available. Unfortunately the outages are quite frustrating to
people and are requiring us to look at other options that won't have to
rely on your weekend availability. I'm sure you can appreciate that.
Hopefully it'll be a load off you when we figure it out as well. :-)