sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] requests for spells on ISO

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jason Flatt <jason AT flattfamily.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] requests for spells on ISO
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 22:28:52 -0800

On Wednesday 31 March 2004 9:05 pm, Hamish Greig wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 14:44, Jason Flatt wrote:
> > In the 0.9.2 ISO install I did, I needed to compile the kernel to get my
> > network card working correctly, so I'd say this is a 'must have'.
>
> what network card ? was it not compiled or was it compiled with wrong
> options ? Or was it the netconf bug were it wrote $module.ko to the
> eth#,dev file ?
> Also, I would like to receive all these (minor or major ?) bug reports,
> There is no point in me spending all this time and effort if developers and
> users don't get what they want and chances are if something didn't work for
> you, then it will similarly fail for another user so it is a bug and should
> be fixed for the next release.
> ISO bugs will no longer be left unaddressed for months on end, so please
> report them and the ISO and install process will advance thanks to your
> feedback.

Well, to be honest, I just figured I was doing something wrong, and compiling
the driver into the kernel worked. Now that you mention it, however, that
netconf bug looks familiar, so maybe that was the problem I was having. I'll
try booting to that kernel again and check (tomorrow).

> Oh, and perl would have been installed if you chose to compile the kernel
> during install, the question was whether everyone should have it forced
> into their new system or just those that wanted or needed it.

Would it have been available if I didn't choose to compile the kernel during
install, but immediately after the install had completed? I guess if we are
talking about the current ISO, then the answer is yes. I like to leave the
default kernel as a backup in case I royally hose the one I'm building. So,
during install, I choose to install the default kernel. After the install is
done, I make a backup of the kernel then compile a new one.

--
Jason Flatt (jason @ flattfamily . com)
Father of five (http://www.flattfamily.com/)