permaculture - Re: [permaculture] IPC values ?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Steve Hart <stevenlawrencehart@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] IPC values ?
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 10:13:42 +1200

Hi Darren..what exactly had you anticipated ? It seems your retort has
obvious emotional intent and reactions. Quite obvious I guess when one
feels attacked or questioned and exposed as you may be feeling in this
debate.

You mention *" scan through my many examples of design that I’ve got on
display as opposed to me running through some - that way its up to others
to decide whether these are good, bad or ugly." *

Where are these to be found ? I don't think any level of such scanning will
give a fair indication of the many levels of capacity required for any
Permaculture Design. True and accurate critiques go well beyond scanned
viewings.

The questions we need to be asking ourselves revolve around the rigour of
our schools of Permaculture and how we can graduate better equipped
designers. Permaculture is a Design Philosophy. The debate will go on for
many moons about quality and capacity of any design that is produced from
our global college. IMO it is an area that we need considerable growth in
to improve upon at all levels. As a school of design we have not got passed
weed stage in our successional evolution. Some of us may consider ourselves
as pioneers and others may even be canopy species but most are still caught
in mycellium. This is yet another challenge for us to evolve and grow.
Maybe just maybe this issue could come up during our IIPCs and any other
conference the Permaculture networks of the world have.

An intriguing comparison is that of other conventional schools of design
viz, architecture and landscape architecture and even urban design. The
social sciences are now coming into play too, business and economics well
thats another dimension a way off yet. Permaculture of course involves all
these disciplines in design. Its great we are now seeing the emergence of
new additional courses in Permaculture like "Permaculture in Community"
which brings in elements of social science business and economics. I'm
interested in all the layers of Permaculture but often gravitate back to
the specific landuse agriculture based areas which was the basis and
beginning of the formation of Permaculture. We do have many good examples
and models to choose from to assist us in our designs. I have been a strong
advocate for "Advanced Permaculture Design Courses" to assist those who
want to design in delving deeper into what systems, tools, procedures,
practices and processes are there to evolve more credible designs. A
strong part of such is the critique process. IMO quite valuable for it
allows any design idea or presentation greater review of its potential,
success or failure. It also teaches both the designer and all who
participate in the critique process ways of seeing things. It is another
learning tool. And, we never stop learning, if one is open to it.

My original comment about the poor capacity of Key Note Speakers at our
IPCs will ideally bring this debate out into a more rational communique for
our global college to gain from rather than one based on emotion and
retaliation. .. Steve Hart