permaculture - Re: [permaculture] IPC values ?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: christopher nesbitt <christopher.nesbitt@mmrfbz.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: europeanpermaculturenetwork@googlegroups.com, Joe Atkinson <learn@permaculture.org.uk>, Andy Goldring <andyg@permaculture.org.uk>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] IPC values ?
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 09:02:08 -0600

One of the things the IPC makes possible is the broad dissemination of
information and the meeting of people who might otherwise not meet. I am a
long time permaculturist, having taken my PDC in 1991, and have been
practicing for many years, but because of a combination of low income,
remoteness, and being a full time farmer in a climate that has no winter, I
had never been to an IPC, and have been very isolated from the larger
permaculture movement because of where I live and my income level.

In 2013, the IPC was held in Cuba, which is both very close to Belize, and
one of the 77 countries that Belizeans can travel to without visas. Belize
and Cuba have excellent relations, and I have been treated by Cuban doctors
for a stab wound, malaria and dengue, and find them to be excellent. My
partner, Celini Logan, and I, wanted to attend, but we could not afford it.
Some scholarships were available, and we applied. We got significant
assistance to attend, covering our housing and food, and the IPC in Cuba was
some of the best spent time I have had since my PDC in 1991. I cannot
overstate how beneficial this was for the work we are doing.

Without the support made possible, we could not have attended.

Part of the benefit of our going was to meet so many permaculturists, many we
have written with, others we knew of, but had not met, and the ones we had
not met, previously, but got to meet for the first time. We met permies from
Australia, UK, US, and other people working in the developing world from
Malawi, Trinidad, Curacao, Costa Rica, Peru, Brazil, and many other
countries, many of whom received some form of support, as we did. We got to
meet people from all over the world, and it has led to great networking in
the region. We have had multiple students come from Mexico to visit with us,
many students from the global north, John Stollmeyer of Trinidad, Starhawk,
others, who we met at the IPC in Cuba.

The best part that, while many languages were being spoken, everyone was
speaking permaculture. It was truly a wonderful thing to behold, and, almost
two years later, we still talk about how fortunate we were to be able to
receive help to be there.

We have received some support to be at the IPCUK, housing, and are very
appreciative of that support, because without it, we would not be able to
attend. So, we are one small part of this “around the world” network, and we
are grateful for this opportunity.

_____________________________
Christopher Nesbitt

Maya Mountain Research Farm