permaculture - Re: [permaculture] IPC Values ?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Koreen Brennan <koreenbrennan@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] IPC Values ?
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 07:20:35 -0400

I agree that we need to challenge ourselves out of the weed stage, to
constantly strive to become better designers, and to consistently challenge
our ideas. I welcome any push to do so. I think it is essential for the
movement to do so in fact.

But for me, stating that "No one giving keynotes at IPCUK is a decent
designer" falls under the category of ad hominem attack. It is a
generality, it offers no specifics as to what is wrong with any of these
people's designs, or what specific criteria Steve is judging design ability
on. I have my doubts that Steve has looked at many of these people's
designs. It is difficult to respond to ad hominem attacks because there is
no substance to them, it is a lazy way to "debate." Negative emotional

How can we increase our capacity as designers while demonstrating the
permaculture ethic of people care? Are personal insults and sword rattling
really the best way we can come up with to do this? Can we apply the
design principles to how we treat each other? And if not, I'd like to
respectfully ask that we at least consider using specifics when accusing
others of incompetence, as those accusations can then be specifically
addressed or adjudicated. And the movement and our abilities as designers
can actually be strengthened.

Best, Koreen