permaculture - Re: [permaculture] NAPC: Scarcity?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Koreen Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] NAPC: Scarcity?
  • Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2014 13:33:05 -0700

Everyone,

I sincerely appreciate the dialogue - this particular topic would have been
more effective 8 months ago though!

Toby, we sincerely appreciate you and others being willing to speak for free.
We do understand that you and others have worked hard for your knowledge and
have worked hard at finding the best ways to share it, and we do value that.

We have thought of most of those marketing techniques and many more (but
true, not the kitten one...:-). The problem is that we have a certain number
of hours in the day, and we are a small group of people who all have full
time careers outside of this event.  And there are many other factors to
putting this event together outside of marketing it.  We could use more help
in getting the word out about this event!

We've asked people to send out word about the event to their networks and
contact lists and I'd like to ask readers of this conversation to do that as
well! And I'd also like to urge people to register sooner rather than later
if you know you are coming - it helps us secure equipment we need at a better
price.

I am thrilled that Scott and others are coming to get some real work done.
That is exactly what has motivated me to spend the hours I've spent on
organizing this event. I have seen a need for years for our community to talk
more, collaborate more, and do a lot more invisible structure work. I am very
interested in facilitating more of this work in any way that I can. This
convergence is one action that I believe can help do that.

I am not sure I understand your comments, Toby, implying that the model of
camping in a field, meeting in circles, etc, is not working. This model has
appeared to be moving things forward in a number of areas regionally. I would
need to have more information to know for sure what model might be better.
I'm definitely not convinced that a corporate style talking heads event, for
instance, is a preferable model for a convergence, which means "gathering
together" and also "developing something in common."

This subject is something that could be discussed at the NAPC, or on-line
here, or at various convergences, and elsewhere. I'd like to suggest that we
use all of our design tools when addressing these invisible structures, as
Scott mentioned, including site assessment and client interviews. In the
short time that we have, communicating and compiling site assessment
(research) might be all we have time for. If we haven't done sufficient site
assessment on some of these issues, I'd like to suggest that the conversation
revolve around how we can best get that done, so that we have some actual
hard data to go by (and I'm speaking generally here, about any issue). We can
(and I believe, should) continue the conversations after the convergence. It
may take longer in the short run, but in the long run, we should end up being
more effective.

One yield of this convergence is that more conversations are happening about
these matters already. Even if we didn't meet at all - the fact that people
are already talking about some of the major issues facing our movement,
sharing information and successes, is a really good thing.

One thing I'm excited about is that at least two regional convergence
organizers will be sharing some of their successes with creating various
forms of collaboration in their areas. This cross-pollination is so very
valuable, in my mind. Because of the rapid growth of permaculture, there are
many areas of the country that are in a "pioneer" stage. With thoughtful
design, we can bring them more rapidly to the next stage of succession (for
those who are interested), by compiling and sharing successes in more
established areas.

At this point, the prices are not going to change, but we can consider the
viewpoints expressed here for next time. I really appreciate Loren's
understanding of what we are attempting to provide and its value!  That means
a lot, and feels like some real people care. :-)  I like to envision a
permaculture world where we really have each other's back. I know it exists
in pockets, but would love to see that expand, with even more thought about
how we can pull each other up, and the entire subject with us, in the
process.

I would like to remind people that one area people can contribute and receive
something of value back is by sponsoring the event.
http://northamericanpermaculture.org/become-a-napc-sponsor/.

We will survey attendees after the convergence, seeking feedback on what they
feel could be improved. I hope you all will fill them out, especially if you
have constructive suggestions for next time.

We continue to reach out to the community to get feedback on what people feel
will assist the process to be as successful as possible. This is your
opportunity to have design input - we still have a lot of room to accomodate
suggested activities, working groups, etc.

I am of the school that you get what you put attention on, so I'd like to
keep my attention on putting on as meaningful an event as possible that will
aid the succession process, help increase career opportunities and successes
for all of us, open more doors for permaculture, increase its effectiveness
wherever it is used, etc!  Any and all constructive suggestions toward that
end are greatly appreciated. Toby, it would be great if you were willing to
share something of people having successes using permaculture design in other
career pathways. I'm aware of some of those stories, and they are wonderful.

I'd also like to put an intention and affirmation out there that those of us
attending the convergence will keep a focus on seeking areas where we can
agree, where we can work together, where we can help each other achieve our
highest goals as designers, as dreamers, and as composters of cultures.

Best,

Koreen Brennan

On Monday, August 4, 2014 12:17 PM, Scott Pittman <scott@permaculture.org>