permaculture - Re: [permaculture] NAPC: Scarcity?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] NAPC: Scarcity?
  • Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2014 07:57:23 -0700

On Aug 4, 2014, at 6:26 AM, Darrell E. Frey <defrey@bioshelter.com> wrote:

> NAPC offers generous work trade options
>

> On Mon, 4 Aug 2014 07:30:07 -0500, mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@gmail.com> wrote:

> I live nearby, have been involved in permaculture since the late 80s and
> I'm not coming because I'm living on $500/month and can't afford $150 nor
> afford to pay someone to cover all the chores here.

Thanks, Darrell, for pointing out that most "perceived impediments" (Larry
Santoyo's phrase) are resolvable. Miekal's plight of not having any friends
or neighbors or colleagues or relatives or interns or AirB&B clients or city
folk hoping to live on a farm, or just going for one day since he lives
close, or something, to cover his chores, and his thinking that paying
someone is the roadblock, are the next issues to be solved, so he can go to
NAPC.

And I'm really sorry to hear that after 30 years in permaculture someone is
only earning $500 a month, unless it's by choice (in which case, it's his
choice not to afford things). I would like to see permaculture provide
abundant livelihoods. I've seen that one solved in a lot of ways.

> So don't assume it's ludicrously low for everyone.

Well, sure, $150 is not low for low-income people. It's low for a 3-day
conference. Just like $10,000 is a lot of money, but not for a 50-acre farm
with buildings on good land. "Low price" refers to the value given in
exchange for the item, not to the amount of money in your pocket relative to
it.

Toby