permaculture - Re: [permaculture] permaculture fiction

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] permaculture fiction
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 22:40:26 +0100

You are right sort of Georg. But then I have always seen the Mad Max films as completely innocent to facts of ecology and physiology. People drink highly radioactive water without a single bad effect and regard it as a luxury. Pigs in huge numbers are used to produce gas in the middle of a foodless desert. Both humans and pigs live and fight and fornicate without the need to drink or eat in a place where there is nothing to drink or eat.

In fact the only thing that is really important in the films is not running out of oil to drive the SUV's at high speed. It is a vindication of and propaganda for everything big oil stands for today : tar sands, wars of terror in the Middle East, BP spillages in the Gulf and hydro fracking. And I could easily imagine that big oil had sponsored the Mad Max films with an extra top up from the NRA.

Not exactly realistic collapse and nothing to do with permaculture imo.
john

Do not forget that less than ten years ago it was completely
impossible to
mention possible collapse in polite society.

I do not agree. MAny sciemce fiction deals with scenarios after the
collaps - e.g. "Mad MAx" with Mel Gibson, which is now more than 30
years old, was actually a blockbuster.

bamboothiastically,
georg