pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] Re: A host to run things on

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon@mindspring.com>
  • To: webmaster@pfaf.org, london@mindspring.com, pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] Re: A host to run things on
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 21:24:29 -0500

Richard Morris wrote:

> Lawrence,
> > > I think we need a server to actually get these databases
> > > running on. Metalab seems the ideal host.
> >
> > ibiblio (MetaLab) is fully capable of running the databases and
> > the admins are willing to help us set it up. A done deal.
> >
> > > What I think we need:
> > > a user id for the project
> > > MySql - probably comes as default on metalab
> >
> > Yes
> >
> > > PHP - probably comes as default on metalab
> >
> > Yes
> >

> > > I'd also suggest using phpMyAdmin
> > > http://www.phpwizard.net/projects/phpMyAdmin/
> > > as a starting frontend to the database, this does all the
> > > required database operations out of the box.
> > >
> > > We can work on a more tailored interface later.
> > >
> > > Could you have a chat with the metalab folks about this?
> >
> > I will do this immediately, Rich. Its 12:10 AM now - I'll call Fred
> > and/or Jon
> > about this tomorrrow as early as I am able to reach them.
>
> Cool.
>
> > I'd also advise you, as ibiblio accountholder, to contact them about
> > detail surrounding this project
> > as you have the knowledge and experience necessary to get the db off the
> > ground. I am a rank beginner
> > and have a huge learning curve ahead.
>
> Yep I'll get in touch, who's the best person to contact
> at ibiblio?

The main one at present is:

Fred Stutzman
fred@ibiblio.org

He works on our mailing lists (our db ones using Mailman and all others)
and MySQL & PHP as well

I copied the following guys at ibiblio in my reply quoted above - so
they're aware
of what we're currently up to.

Contact people at ibiblio:

Phone numbers:

all staff:

1 919 9625646
1 919 9625647

Paul Jones - ibiblio director: pjones@ibiblio.org - 1 919 9627600

admin staff:

Jonathan Magid
jem@ibiblio.org

Fred Stutzman
fred@ibiblio.org

Donald Sizemore
dls@ibiblio.org

I will try to get the remaining pcplantdb lists up and running as soon
as possible
_and_ move the main PC list over to Mailman.

LL