pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] Re: A host to run things on

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Fred Stutzman <fred@metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • Cc: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon@mindspring.com>, pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>, <fred@ibiblio.org>, <jem@ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] Re: A host to run things on
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 14:15:16 -0500 (EST)

Richard,

See reply below.

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Richard Morris wrote:

> Dear Jon and Fred,
> "Lawrence F. London, Jr." wrote:
> > Rich and all:
> >
> > I just talked with Fred at ibilio (MetaLab) who requested that you
> > get in touch with him regarding details of setting up the resources we
> > need.
> > Your idea of using phpMyAdmin to get us up and running to the point
> > where we can start
> > configuring the database and entering data is what we need.
> >
> > ibiblio already runs MySql and PHP.
> >
> > The ibiblio folks you'll need to work with are:
> >
> > Jon Magid jem@ibiblio.org
> > Fred Stutzman fred@ibiblio.org
>
> Hi there. I guess Lawrence has explained the basic idea behind the
> database, which is to produce an open source plant database
> which will be a collaborative project where people can add data
> about plants. I guess the plant information may will be similar
> to the Plants For A Future database which is already running on
> ibiblio.
>
> The projects very up in the air at the moment but the way I envisage
> it is as a set of linked databases. There will probably be a few
> key authors who each be responsible for one of the databases
> and another database which can be amended by other people on the web.
> Data from all these databases will be combined when users search
> for a particular plant.
>
> For the project well need a user id, or maybe a set of user id's,
> for the key authors. We also need mySQL for the databases
> and php to do the user interface. As some of the authors
> are not database experts I'm hoping to used a web based
> db administration tool (phpMyAdmin) which should be usable
> across the web by the key authors.
> We'll also be developing a web interface for use by the general
> public.

Please contact Donald Sizemore (dls@ibiblio.org) with the user accounts
you need created, and the databases you need created. I'm sorry for not
getting back to you in a timely fashion, things have been kind of hectic
lately. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact
me.

Thanks!
Fred Stutzman