pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] Re: A host to run things on

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon@mindspring.com>, pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] Re: A host to run things on
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 15:23:56 +0000

Lawrence,
> > I think we need a server to actually get these databases
> > running on. Metalab seems the ideal host.
>
> ibiblio (MetaLab) is fully capable of running the databases and
> the admins are willing to help us set it up. A done deal.
>
> > What I think we need:
> > a user id for the project
> > MySql - probably comes as default on metalab
>
> Yes
>
> > PHP - probably comes as default on metalab
>
> Yes
>

> > I'd also suggest using phpMyAdmin
> > http://www.phpwizard.net/projects/phpMyAdmin/
> > as a starting frontend to the database, this does all the
> > required database operations out of the box.
> >
> > We can work on a more tailored interface later.
> >
> > Could you have a chat with the metalab folks about this?
>
> I will do this immediately, Rich. Its 12:10 AM now - I'll call Fred
> and/or Jon
> about this tomorrrow as early as I am able to reach them.

Cool.

> I'd also advise you, as ibiblio accountholder, to contact them about
> detail surrounding this project
> as you have the knowledge and experience necessary to get the db off the
> ground. I am a rank beginner
> and have a huge learning curve ahead.

Yep I'll get in touch, who's the best person to contact
at ibiblio?

Anyone else in the group, interested in doing database admin?

Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Main Site: Blagdon Cross, Ashwater, Beaworthy, Devon, EX21 5DF, England
Tel: (+44 845) 458 4719
Email: webmaster@pfaf.org (web related queries only)