pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] Re: A host to run things on

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon@mindspring.com>
  • Cc: pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>, fred@ibiblio.org, jem@ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] Re: A host to run things on
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 00:39:31 +0000

Dear Jon and Fred,
"Lawrence F. London, Jr." wrote:
> Rich and all:
>
> I just talked with Fred at ibilio (MetaLab) who requested that you
> get in touch with him regarding details of setting up the resources we
> need.
> Your idea of using phpMyAdmin to get us up and running to the point
> where we can start
> configuring the database and entering data is what we need.
>
> ibiblio already runs MySql and PHP.
>
> The ibiblio folks you'll need to work with are:
>
> Jon Magid jem@ibiblio.org
> Fred Stutzman fred@ibiblio.org

Hi there. I guess Lawrence has explained the basic idea behind the
database, which is to produce an open source plant database
which will be a collaborative project where people can add data
about plants. I guess the plant information may will be similar
to the Plants For A Future database which is already running on
ibiblio.

The projects very up in the air at the moment but the way I envisage
it is as a set of linked databases. There will probably be a few
key authors who each be responsible for one of the databases
and another database which can be amended by other people on the web.
Data from all these databases will be combined when users search
for a particular plant.

For the project well need a user id, or maybe a set of user id's,
for the key authors. We also need mySQL for the databases
and php to do the user interface. As some of the authors
are not database experts I'm hoping to used a web based
db administration tool (phpMyAdmin) which should be usable
across the web by the key authors.
We'll also be developing a web interface for use by the general
public.

I hope that the info you need. Drop me a line if you have
any other queries.

Regards

Rich

p.s. thanks for hosting the pfaf db

--
Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Main Site: Blagdon Cross, Ashwater, Beaworthy, Devon, EX21 5DF, England