nafex - Re: [NAFEX] treatment of scions (ends of sticks)

  • From: tanis cuff <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] treatment of scions (ends of sticks)
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 01:18:43 +0000

David M.,

The cut ends of stored scionwood always dry over, or oxidize, but do not stay
fresh. The drying doesn't extend into the stick if the climate in the bag is
high humidity. Pop the wax off the end of a waxed scion stick, and the end
looks dry, or at least oxidized.

There may be some sad looking tissue at top/ terminal bud of the tip of
sticks which was the end of a watersprout, if the growth was too vigorous and
didn't go dormant properly. It probably died before you collected it.

When you cut up a longer stored scion stick to make several shorter graft
pieces, the former ends can be evaluated for whether they look healthy enough
to do their task. I don't see much difference in performance of a dried
stored end at the top of a graft piece, compared to a newly trimmed piece.
The bottom end, dried in storage or freshly cut, usually gets cut off when
the piece is prepped for attaching to the rootstock.

Clearer, or more confusing?