nafex - [NAFEX] treatment of scions

  • From: david.maxwell@dal.ca
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] treatment of scions
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 08:40:00 -0400

I suspect that there is more belief than science involved, and that I may
trigger strongly held
opinions, but I would like to seek the collective wisdom on the best way to
store scion wood.
I have always put a little bit of moist paper towel over the cut ends, put
them in a Baggie, and
stored them in the fridge until spring. I have recently had strong
objections that this will result
in the scions becoming mouldy because of the humidity, (and indeed they do
sometimes
develop a surface growth of a white mould, but this does not seem to affect
the takes, or do
the scions the slightest harm). It was suggested that the better way is to
dip the ends in
some sort of wax to "seal" them, and then store them dry. Will they dry out
like this, and will
the drying not kill the scions just as surely? Any thoughts or advice?