nafex - Re: [NAFEX] treatment of scions

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] treatment of scions
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 08:42:45 -0500

I would not just wax the ends myself. I think some commercial operations do
that, but they are storing a lot of wood and if you have a lot of wood
together the volume vs surface area ratio is much higher so it will dry out
much more slowly. They also may not be using a regular refrigerator, the
normal kitchen fridge can really dry things out even if bagged.

I do the paper towel method. I have had stuff go bad, but if I check monthly
and gently scrub off any mold I am good. Also there should be no great
moisture in the bag, just a paper towel that is not stiff.

Scott