nafex - Re: [NAFEX] treatment of scions

  • From: John Bunker <john.p.bunker@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] treatment of scions
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 10:54:32 -0500

I know that many people use damp paper towels, wax etc. I have never found these measures to be necessary. We store large amounts of scionwood in plastic bags with no moisture at all and no wax. We generally use large thick black garbage bags. It might be that the accumulated moisture from all the wood keep them from drying out. We store the bags at 35 - 40 degrees. I also store a few sticks of this and that from time to time and in small plastic bags with no wax or moisture. Again with no ill effects. When we store wood in the refrigerator or root cellar, we triple bag it. We have never had mold problems.

Snowing up here again today. Three feet on the ground.

John Bunker
Fedco
trees@fedcoseeds.com
www.fedcoseeds.com