nafex - Re: [NAFEX] treatment of scions

  • From: "Ron Powell, PhD" <Botrytis@fuse.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] treatment of scions
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 12:57:53 -0500

I agree with everything that Jerry said. I sometimes will actually double bag the scions as well as put them in bundles of 10 and wrap with a damp paper towel. I use paper towels because they are less likely to mold. I check the bundles and dampen them again if necessary or replace the paper towels if I see any signs of mold.

Another choice is to use the Glad Press'n Seal. It will almost make a water tight seal when wrapped around the scion wood. So, you really need to make sure that the paper towels are not too wet to prevent mold.

Another way is too melt the wax in an old crock pot filled with water and dip the scion wood entirely into the crock pot. The entire scion wood will now be covered with a very thin layer of wax. A lot of trouble but if you have just a little scion wood it might be worth the effort.

Another thing to remember is that ethylene gas given off by vegetables and fruit stored in the refrigerator will harm the scion wood. It is best to have a dedicated refrigerator to store scion wood.

Ron.

----- Original Message ----- From: <Jwlehman@aol.com>