nafex - Re: [NAFEX] fast fruit/weeping mulberry

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] fast fruit/weeping mulberry
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 08:19:37 -0500

This weeping mulberry i got from One Green World has survived over its very
first winter 2 unprotected nights in a row where it hit -50 air temps before
windchill and one night hit -60 for a few hours...

Thanks. I might look into that on my next attempt.

But I'm not sure that cold winter temperatures are the problem. It got to -12 one time last winter, nothing like the cold temperatures you have. And I keep them mulched in the winter, so I don't think the soil is drying out too badly. But none of my mulberries seem to be ready when winter arrives. The green leaves usually freeze on the tree (while everything else has normally lost its leaves by then). I wonder if that hasn't been the main problem.

But I don't know what to do about it.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
There is no more important struggle for American democracy than ensuring a diverse, independent and free media. - Bill Moyers