nafex - [NAFEX] Old-timers and old pears

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Old-timers and old pears
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 20:21:13 -0500

Donna,
While you're picking old-timers' brains about old pear & apple varieties, it might be worth your time to talk to Dr. David Griffith, the retired dentist from Dadeville, AL who's now living in my hometown of Opelika.
He had(or still has) an extensive collection of old Southern pears - I got Ledbetter, Galloway, Big Mama, Sen. Clark and Dixie Delight from him years ago; after he described them in POMONA and offered scionwood.
You've got a head-start on the research on selections that might be worth having, and all the right questions.

Dr. Griffith also has a collection of superior Southern-origin timber-type black walnut selections that he'd collected over at least a quarter-century.  I saw an ad in the NNGA Nutshell sometime in the last year where he was advertising for someone to purchase or lease his walnut collection and his progeny-test orchard of seedlings.

Dr. David N. Griffith
305 Guinevere Ct,
Opelika, AL.
Phone: 334-741-4184