nafex - Re: [NAFEX] white currants

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] white currants
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 08:13:18 -0500

I eat them fresh and make juice. While others will disagree, I think white currant juice is far superior to red or black - excellent!

How do you extract the juice? Is there a simple way, without buying a juicer?

A few years ago, I planted one red, one white, and one pink currant, and I'm still trying to figure out what to do with them. I don't think they're good fresh, and I don't make jam or jelly. My mom made a pie with them once, but it was pretty generic - not worth doing a second time (especially since my gooseberries - and rhubarb - make great pies). She tried cooking some currants for sauce, too, and said it was absolutely terrible.

So it looks like juice is the only option left, if I keep the bushes at all. They're really nice bushes, too, and loaded with fruit, even in partial shade. They've even easy to pick, with the fruit in bunches and no thorns. But if I can't find a good use for the fruit, what's the point?

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work - and then they get elected and prove it. - P. J. O'Rourke