nafex - Re: [NAFEX] fast fruit/weeping mulberry

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] fast fruit/weeping mulberry
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 17:55:07 -0500

I love mulberry. It's one of my favorite fruits.

I do, too. I've always loved them. But I'm having the worst time trying to grow them! I'm on my fourth Illinois Everbearing Mulberry. This one is still alive, but half of it died over the winter. None of the rest have broken dormancy after their first winter (though they grew great the year before). And I just lost my Geraldi Dwarf Mulberry. It started to leaf out, and then just died. One year is all it lasted.

Wild mulberries grow like weeds around here. But their taste varies greatly. I want a mulberry that tastes good and, if not dwarf, at least something I can prune to stay small. But for some reason, the only tree I have trouble growing is the mulberry.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
I like paying taxes. With them I buy civilization. - Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes