nafex - Re: [NAFEX] fast fruit/weeping mulberry

  • From: Sheridan Shumway <rattler_mt@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] fast fruit/weeping mulberry
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 14:00:16 -0700 (PDT)

I'm interested. How do the mulberries taste?

keep in mind mine are just starting to flower so its been roughly a year
since i last tasted them.....so going by memory....they are sweeter than the
raspberries i grow, lacking any tartness....the fruit is on the small side,
which may be because of the trees small size yet, im not sure....but the
flavor is intense enough to make it worth collecting them...i should have
ripe fruit in another 30 days or so and i can do a better report then....

not many fruits can shrug off our -50 to -60 air temps in the winter and then
have no problems putting on a good set of fruit the next year......the
weeping mulberry does....the contorted variety so far doesnt.....it lives
through the winter just fine but i think the dormant flower buds
survive.....the mulberry offers me something different in the early summer
fruit wise when i dont have many options other than raspberries or
strawberries for home grown fruit at that time....hoping to get enough next
year to do a small batch of mulberry mead.....

Sheridan S.
northeast Montana
zone 3 or 4