nafex - Re: [NAFEX] fast fruit/weeping mulberry

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] fast fruit/weeping mulberry
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 09:12:03 -0500

Bill, I had an IL Everbearing that never grew. When the bad freeze April 07 killed it, I discovered that the rootstock that came up was pure alba. R. alba seems to do very well in GA but around here they tend to get really creamed by late frosts, and I don't think our winters do them much good either. You might was to take Lucky's offer of selected rubras. Don't know if he has any left, but I know that some Nafexer had great success simply rooting mulberry cuttings. So it might not be too late to get started this year. Dunno if you can keep them small though. Trouble with mulberries is they need either to be small enough to pick from the ground (ideal) or small enough to shake from the ground, or big enough to climb up in and shake. If you spread (OLD) sheets on the ground, you can get mulberries by the bucketful. Donna