nafex - [NAFEX] High Density Planting

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] High Density Planting
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 17:42:48 -0400

I have many high density plantings, primarily trees spaced around 3' apart in rows 10' apart. Pruning at least twice per summer plus thinning pruning in the winter is needed. Without enough pruning you will get trees that are too dense and that in turn can reduce the amount of fruit and bring on diseases. It has taken me several years to learn how to keep the trees properly balanced; I have found the European plums the hardest to control and the dwarf apples the easiest. I use a modified vase system on most trees - it is a vase but with from 1-3 scaffolds only. With only one scaffold the vase becomes a spindle of sorts.

Scott
Maryland z6/7

  • [NAFEX] High Density Planting, Scott Smith, 05/29/2009