nafex - Re: [nafex] Apple Recommendations

  • From: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Apple Recommendations
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 21:45:37 -0400

fluffy bunny wrote:
> Ed wrote:
>
> 16. Honeycrisp - For those who equate flavor with its wonderful
> texture.
>
> My reply:
>
> In the words of a former President: "There you go again" : )
>
> Seriously Ed...I have often heard you make this statement and wonder
> about it as much. I love HoneyCrisp and find it to have a wonderful
> flavor. However mine were all Minnesota grown. I am curious where
> yours came from?

Fluffy, I bought some Honeycrisps from the HoneyCrisp web-site, just to
taste what all the fuss was about. (The most expensive apples I've ever
tasted!) They were very good apples. Excellent texture, although
possibly a little too hard and crisp. Nicely juicy. Good sweetness,
without being cloying. Enough acid to be interesting. But the flavor
was only okay. I would describe it as a very good red delicious. Of
course, that good red delicious has less juice and much inferior
texture, so the Honeycrisp wins hands down. But the flavor didn't
excite me the way a good Mac or Jonathan can.

I hope to try some of the other apples recommended here soon - maybe
this year if my order form from Apple Source ever comes. I grafted some
Sweet Sixteen and Ashmead's Kernal onto my crabs this year, so maybe
I'll get to try some homegrown, as well.

Also, I've been wanting to try Keepsake, but have wondered how it will
do in my climate. So I'm looking forward to hearing who is having what
luck with it.

Ginda
Eastern Massachusetts, zone 6 42.18N

Restaurants & Movies, Local Weather and Traffic & More!
Call 1-800-555-TELL. For more info visit:
http://click.egroups.com/1/9533/15/_/423498/_/970191846/